Re: [css3-namespace] url() syntax

karl@w3.org wrote:

> About http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-css3-namespace-20060828/#syntax
>
> The specification goes on defining that the namespace can be expressed
> as a string or a URI with the construct [STRING|URI] then later on the
> specification seems to discouraged the use of URI construct.
>
>  [[[
>  A URI string parsed from the url() syntax must be
>  treated as a literal string: no URI-specific
>  normalization is applied. For this reason the string
>  syntax is recommended, and the url()  syntax discouraged
>  deprecated?.
>  ]]]
>
> Why the original syntax is not:
>
>   : NAMESPACE_SYM S* [namespace_prefix S*]? STRING S* ';' S*

Because support for the url() syntax has already been widely implemented,
and telling UAs not to support it would break backward compatibility. At
the same time, I feel the string syntax is a clearer representation of
how the namespace is processed (because the namespace need not be a url,
and because no url-specific processing is applied to it).

> Does the litteral string has to be a valid URI?

As far as CSS is concerned, no.

Let me know if this addresses your comment.

~fantasai