Re: [css3-namespace] CSS Qualified Names and values of attributes

karl@w3.org wrote:

> About http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-css3-namespace-20060828/#css-qnames
>
> The specification doesn't say anything about qnames if attributes values as
> it seems to be used intensively by XHTML 2.0, for example this test.

>       xmlns:dc="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/"
>       xml:lang="en">
>      <cite property="dc:title"
>            href="urn:isbn:0060006994">Fix-it Duck</cite>
>
> It seems that the CSS namespaces doesn't apply to values of attributes?
> Should the CSS author rely on escaping to apply a rule?
>  .dc\:title { }

If you notice, the specification doesn't say anything about qnames as attribute
or element names either. It just defines syntax for qnames -- it's the CSS
equivalent of a spec that defines xmlns attributes and that says "the syntax
for qualified names is prefix-colon-localpart".

It's up to the Selectors spec to define syntax for selectors, and to say which
parts of the selector are qualified names and which simply strings.

Your CSS rule would, btw, be correctly written as
   [property="dc:title"] { }
because 'property' is not defined as a class attribute. (You can't use the dot
syntax with it.)

Let me know if this addresses your comment.

~fantasai