Re: Bug in t1202-counters-17-d

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:47:22 -0600
To: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
CC: public-css-testsuite-request@w3.org, W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
>> In fact, as I recall the pre-line thing for :before/:after was a bug some
>> UAs had, based on the spec's language being vague, no?
>>
> It is in section 16.6:
>
> The following examples show what whitespace behavior is expected from the PRE
> and P elements, the "nowrap" attribute in HTML, and in generated content.
> :before,:after { white-space: pre-line }

Hmm...  That's informative text, not normative.  But yes, I take the
point that as the spec is currently written it strongly hints that the
t1202-counters-17-d test is at least making assumptions it should not be
making, in that UAs are free to have this rule in the UA stylesheet.

I wonder how all this matches up with existing implementations...  Gecko
does not have "white-space: pre-line" defined for :before/:after.
Neither does Opera 9 (though Opera makes \A produce a line-break even if
"white-space: normal" is set, which looks like a bug to me).  IE doesn't
support any of this stuff, and khtml seems to have "white-space:
pre-line" set (in version 3.5.5, at least).

-Boris