Re: [CSS21] Possible counters() limitation?

On Saturday 2006-09-09 14:53 +0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> It seems that the counters() construct doesn't really address the use case
> of sections and headers. With a structure such as:
>
>   <section>
>    <h>LEVEL 1</h>
>    <section>
>     <h>LEVEL 2</h>
>    </section>
>    <section>
>     <h>LEVEL 2</h>
>    </section>
>   </section>
>
> ... I can't really find the a way to get an outline such as:
>
>   1.  LEVEL 1
>   1.1 LEVEL 2
>   1.2 LEVEL 2

I was supposed to respond to this one for the WG, but forgot.

We discussed this at our meeting in Mountain View last month, but
decided that addressing this seems to require either (a) new
features or (b) breaking the ability of counter() and counters() to
handle ol/li nesting or h1/h2/h3 numbering.  We therefore decided to
postpone trying to address this issue until css3.

-David