Re: Deep nesting of quotes

From: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:29:21 +0400
To: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> So it seems that which level (single or double) is outermost is a US vs.
> UK difference (as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks says),
> and that I was wrong about the normal convention for third-level quotes
> in English (at least based on these examples).
>
> -David

As it happens, the Unicode list has been discussing the same issue, and
a poster quoted The Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition, section 10.26:

     Quoted words, phrases, and sentences run into the text
     are enclosed on double quotation marks. ... Single quotation
     marks enclose quotations within quotations; double marks,
     quotations within these; and so on:

       “Don't be absurd!” said Henry. “To say that ‘I mean what I say’
       is the same as ‘I say what I mean’ is to be as confused as Alice
       at the Mad Hatter's tea party.  You remember what the Hatter
       said to her: ‘Not the same thing a bit!  Why, you might as well
       say that “I see what I eat” is the same thing as “I eat what I
see”!’ ”

     British practice is often, though not always, the reverse: single
     marks are used first, then double, and so on.[1]

Nobody has brought a source for practice in any other language that
deals explicitly with nesting beyond second level.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2006-m05/0144.html (See
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/ for guest access procedure)