Re: proposal: @supports and :supports

From: Ben Ward <ben@ben-ward.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:53:58 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi HeoreV,

HeroreV wrote:
 > One common problem of CSS that is likely to become
 > worse: When something new is introduced, there is no
 > easy way to give styling that uses it only to UAs that
 > support it, and use older methods for UAs that do not.

This concept has been done a few times before and rejected. I'd
recommended searching the archives for "!required", which was designed
to achieved much the same thing.

Off the top of my head, it fell down on a number of issues, one of which
centred around the requirement for user agents to implement it correctly
and be honest about which CSS features they support. Furthermore, the
concept of supporting a particular CSS feature does not indicate whether
the feature is supported _accurately_, without bugs. As such, the value
of features like this has been shown to evaporate quite quickly and it
all comes out looking a bit too Utopian to work in practice.

Kind regards,
Ben