Re: Deep nesting of quotes

From: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:06:35 +0400
To: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:

 > That said, three levels of quotes nested is probably bad style anyway.
 > I'm not sure where to look for actual examples of that in print.

I've seen it in Sherlock Holmes stories, e.g. "The Musgrave Ritual" (in
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext97/memho11.txt), where Holmes is
telling Watson the story of one of his cases, and quoting the background
story as told by his client, including reported speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks says "Nesting levels up to
five can be found in the Bible", but that doesn't much help finding examples