Re: [CSS2 counters] Is it possible to evaluate a value inside CSS?

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:44:16 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

On Monday 15 May 2006 19:39, Daniel MD wrote:

> I am trying to do some tricks in CSS, one of them is to use different
> bullet images programmatically using a CSS counter, so i have a
> folder called bullets with 1.gif, 2.gif, etc.... I don't know if it
> is possible to do in CSS, i have tried several ways but i think i am
> not getting the way the list gets created... or perhaps this is not
> possible, what i want to do is for the content: propriety to
> evaluate/return url(1.gif) [see code below]
>
> Using it directly (content:url(1.gif)) works fine... is there a way
> to do this, how do i create a "fake" variable with a counter?

No. It could however be a suggestion for CSS3. We already have the option of
using the attr() function as a generic value. Why not counter, it's no harder
to do that attr.

To be consistent with current CSS 3 values draft the syntax would be something
like:
content: counter(list, decimal, url)

`Allan