Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:18:00 -0400
To: Spartanicus <spartanicus.3@ntlworld.ie>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Not being a designer my list of text effects is likely to limited. CSS
> should be capable of providing most of the effects people currently
> apply to "text" with graphic editors.

There are literally thousands of these.  People sell plugins for
graphics programs such as Corel Paint and PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro
just to do text effects.

In addition, many effects need the font outlines, so you need the
scaleable font in any case -- fonts on most modern platforms are
not just bitmaps.

One of the biggest issues I see with downloadable fonts is that
I typically, as a designer, want a web page to be rendered with
fonts in a single family.  Mixing Adobe Caslon Italic with
Times Roman Bold isn't OK.  Neither is choosing small caps from
one font and numerals from another.

So I'd want to say, "choose the first set of fonts that can
meet all of the following needs".

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/