Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 19:25:11 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> the secondary font file after all when it encounters characters that it=20
> can't render, actually, it seems only logical, and it is what most UAs=20
> do today. So I don't think there is a problem.

Laying aside the specific Microsoft consideration (although noting that
you are using a Microsoft proprietary character encoding (and misusing
a quote mark as an apostrophe)), the other problem is that current font
rendering packages that support a proper font fallback tend to require
the list of valid characters in a font to be known upfront.  The existing
CSS fonts mechanism can cover this because they allow the valid character
ranges to be specified in the CSS.