overflow:none or min-width:auto/intrinsic?

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:52:24 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

As far as I understand there is no way in CSS [1,2,3]
to define rule:
"set width of the block to 300px but not less than
min-intrinsic width of its content"
using existing set of attributes or/and values, am I right?

In fact such algorithm is implemented in all UAs - it looks like
table cells declared as either:

td { overflow:none; }

-or-

td { min-width: min-intrinsic; }

in all accessible to me UAs.

(I know that there are no such value as 'none' in overflow currently)

Trident engine (IE6/7 for Win32) seems like have
overflow:none; as a default value for all block elements. It does overflow
only if there is explicit declaration overflow:visible/etc.

OT: (This is why w3c.org front page looks better in IE than in any other
engine on small screen sizes,
visual effects of overflow:visible as a rule give an impression of bad
design. Try to reduce size of browser window
to see what I mean)

Question is: do we have any plans to introduce overflow:none
or min-width: min-intrinsic or the like?

This in my opinion is so fundamental that it should appear even in 2.1.
At least display:table-cell is not quite working without it.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com