Re: CSS Selectors: How to style non-styleable?

Le Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:54:21 +0200, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> a écrit:

> Hi , Mihai,
>
> From: "Mihai Sucan" mihai.sucan@gmail.com
<...>

> I've already tried something similar:
>
> In my case scrollbar was a quasi-element:
>
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .prev { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .prev:hover { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .prev-page { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .thumb { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .thumb:hover { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .next-page { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .next { ... }
> scrollbar[type="vertical"] > .next:hover { ... }
>
> Here is an example of such styling:
> http://terrainformatica.com/hsmile/images/sctls.png
>
> As I said in my initial message this is wrong way in my opinion:
> this block of styles shall be declared as monolitic block and assigned
> to the
> element as a whole conglomerate.  Cascading rules in this case shall
> also be
> applicable in slightly different way.
>
> Problem of style blocks seriously arise also in case of
> "contenteditable=true"
> (aka <htmlarea>)
>
> It should be some way to declare isolated system of styles for some
> portions
> of the DOM:
>
> @style-block editable-content { p { ... }, h1 { ... } ...  }
>
> htmlarea:content = editable-content;
>
> This will establish new local "style root" or style namespace
> for DOM sub-tree inside editable htmlarea element.

So, what you want is actually different from what I initially believed (or
not).

You want a way to make "blocks of styles" that you can isolatedly apply to
portions of the DOM:

@style-block name-of-the-block
{
p { ... }
h1 { ... }
}

The above, by itself, won't make a difference to anything in the DOM, but
... if we go on and do something like:

#myDOMelement
{
 style-block: name-of-the-block true|false;
 any-propety: and value(as, usual);
}

Then we style #myDOMelement and all child elements according to the CSS
definition of name-of-the-block. The true|false bit I added sets isolated
true or false (that is: apply *only* the style-block CSS definitions to
the child elements or allow mixing). This is useful if, for example, you
need to have a set of lists, but only one element needs be changed.

Style-block property could be available even in the @style-block
definitions, therefore allowing some kind of modularity.

This a is very interesting idea and concept: being able to make multiple
CSS definitions and reuse them in any part of the DOM, isolated or not.

Does this have any link to styling scrollbars? As I think of it: not
exactly, because it's just a proposal for expanding the CSS language
itself (it's not yet another "i want a property to ...").

The benefit, in conjunction with my second proposal for styling scrollbars
which does not add anything to the DOM, but adds a few CSS
pseudo-elements, is the ability of easily reusing the scrollbar styling in
any part of the DOM.

Or did I get it all wrong?

--
http://www.robodesign.ro