Re: overflow:scroll and tables

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:00:48 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, www-style@w3.org

At 04:58 PM 3/8/2006, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>Adam Kuehn wrote:
>>One technical reason is that the overflow property does not apply to tables.
>
>Why not?  Tables are block-level, no?  So per CSS21 it should apply,
>it seems to me.

You are quite right, it should.  My mistake.

>>However, the real reason appears to be that UAs (well, OK, Firefox
>>- I didn't take the time to conduct universal testing) ignore all
>>overflow values on any display: table* objects, even table cells,
>>to which the property is supposed to apply.
>
>Actually, overflow:hidden does work when the cell actually
>overflows. It just takes effort to get that to happen (eg
>"table-layout: fixed").

Again, you are correct.  It appears that Firefox supports the
'hidden' value on both table and table-cell elements when the
table-layout is fixed, but does not support the 'scroll' value.  No
value appears to be supported for table-layout: auto.  Obviously, my
testing skills need some work, however, so you can take that
assertion with a grain of salt.

-Adam Kuehn