Re: overflow:scroll and tables

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:26:36 -0500
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, www-style@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>This is actually my question:
>"One technical reason is that the overflow property does not apply to
>tables." - why? What is this reason?

I'm no expert, but I believe this is just for backward compatibility
with legacy table behavior.  You can check the "automatic" table
layout algorithm in the spec.  I'm pretty sure that this layout
algorithm is incompatible with the overflow property (or, more
accurately, the layout algorithm will never result in the need for
any value of overflow except 'visible').

>Yep, this is why I am asking. Seems like there are no formal reasons
>why <table> or <td> should not be scrollable but seems like
>UA vendors reached some silent agreement in this area. So is the question.

The spec agrees with you with respect to <td> elements.  Table cells
are supposed to respect overflow, although Mozilla, at least, appears
not to do so.  I can't answer your question in this instance,
although I would still guess the answer is still tied to legacy rendering.

-Adam Kuehn