Re: [css21] height: [percent]

From: <leslie.brown@evidian.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 00:04:47 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

>> "If the pixel density of the output device is very different from that
>> of a typical computer display, the user agent should rescale pixel
>> values. It is recommended that the reference pixel be the visual angle
>> of one pixel on a device with a pixel density of 96dpi and a distance
>> from the reader of an arm's length."
>>
>> As you may see such rescaling is not a mandatory.
>
> It is mandatory unless the implementor has a good reason not to do it.
> What good reason would that be?

Another occasion when I'd usually prefer NOT to do it is for certain
graphics: in particular screen shots in pages used for training or
troubleshooting. Scaling up to (say) 160% can make the text in the
screenshot ugly at best and sometimes difficult to read.

Above 300% this isn't too big a problem. Does "very different"
have a lower limit? Or is there a way to specify "only rescale
pixel values to integer multiples" ?

Les Brown