[CSS3-Text] text-overflow

From: Joost de Valk <webkit@joostdevalk.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:07:34 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

The latest version of CSS3 text doesn't include the text-overflow-*
properties, because fantasai hasn't rewritten them yet. I've been
looking at it, because IE, Safari and Opera seem to support it to some
extent. I think it would be nice to include it in the next version, but
it needs work. I'd like to point out what i think needs to be changed.

At the moment there are 3 properties: text-overflow-mode,
text-overflow-ellipsis and the shorthand text-overflow. In my opinion,
both text-overflow-mode and text-overflow-ellipsis could be removed in
favor of just text-overflow. IE, Safari and Opera support that already
and both IE and Safari don't seem to support either -mode or -ellipsis.
I haven't tested Opera with them.

Concerning the values it takes: I have tested both Safari and IE, and
they both do not support the value ellipsis-word.

the specification of ellipsis-word was:

similar to 'ellipsis', but the insertions take place the boundary of the
last full glyph representation of a word within the line of text.

This should probably be:

similar to 'ellipsis', but the insertion takes place at the boundary of
the last full glyph representation of a word within the line of text.

Consider this sentence:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur

If it were to be clipped half way through "consectetur", ellipsis would
mean this becomes "conse..." or something similar, ellipsis-word would
mean this would become "amet...". That seems fine to me :)