Re: [css3-background] Percentages on background-position

Emrah BASKAYA wrote:

 > On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:35:12 +0300, Jordan OSETE
 > <jordan.osete@laposte.net> wrote:
 >
 >> Aligns the point (0,50%) of the image with the point (20px,50%) of the
 >> element.
 > I used to think this is how it worked already. (e.g. 75% horizontal
 > placement lined 75% of the image with 75% of the placement area.)

Exactly, that is the actual behaviour as defined in CSS2.

 >> Now if we could find a way to specify both the point relative to the
 >> image and the point relative to the element,
 > This is a good idea.
 >
 > But I also like David Baron's simplistic approach in re-defining the
 > percentage definitions (definitions which were a bit mis-leading anyway)

Both have pros and cons. The main problem with his approach is probably
that it redefines percentages. In CSS percentage has always been
relative to the whole width (or height) of the containing block. I find
it less intuitive. Compared to my proposal, it is less versatile as
well, yet it is also less complex than mine, and more consistent with
the current behaviour.

Jordan Osete