specificity and user style sheets

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:34:02 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Please excuse my state of ignorance, for many years it has been
fairly clear that the majority of people surfing the web have no
clear idea about user style sheets or what benefits they might bring.

My expertise as is with people that have learning disabilities, and
it is evident to me that someone wishing to use a style sheet, and
thus learn about CSS would prefer to start with something simple such
as:

body {background:black; color:white;}

however whilst there expectation might be that this would provide a
universal solution to their reading difficulties, in reality it
achieves almost nothing due to the approach to specificity taken by
the WG.

Would it be possible for the WG to consider what changes to the
current structure might help encourage development of user style sheets?

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

UserSS.css

body {background:black; color:white;}