Re: Absolutely positioned, non-replaced elements

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:07:59 -0500
To: Shadow2531 <shadow2531@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Shadow2531 wrote:
> Then, for rule #3, since width and right are auto and left is not, the
> width is shrink-to-fit.

Yes.

> Now, I think the float: right; for the child h3 causes IE and Gecko to
> get 0 for right, but I'm not 100% sure how.

There's a bug in Gecko's shrink-to-fit algorithm if there's a shrink-to-fit
child inside the thing you're working with.  Since the float has no width set,
it's shrink-to-fit, so you hit the bug.

We expect to have this bug fixed in Gecko 1.9; the relevant builds render your
page identically to Opera.

-Boris