Re: [CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders] border-radius

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:07:54 +0200
To: Joost 'AlthA' de Valk <webkit@joostdevalk.nl>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, Mark Rowe <opendarwin.org@bdash.net.nz>
Joost 'AlthA' de Valk schreef:
> When an element has a border-radius that is more than half the the
> element's width or height, should it draw a border at all?
>
> F/I:

> background-color: #0f0;"></div>
>
> In WebKit, this div will not be rounded, since it's height is to low
> to have a rounded with a radius of 30px. The spec, up till now, says
> nothing of how to behave in this situation. My suggestion would be to
> add:
>
> "If the border-radius is more than half of the width or height of an
> element, the border-radius is not drawn at all."
>
> I'd like to hear your opinion on this situation.

Hi Joost,

I would prefer the curved border to be drawn, up to half the available
height/width (so in effect the border would look a bit pointy halfway
the box; probably people will put this effect to good use :)!).
Alternatively, if the radius doesn’t fit, it could be adjusted to the
largest value that does.

This would look a lot better for cases where the radius is specified in
pixels, but the height is determined by e.g. the content height (it
might occasionally only contain 1 line) or em units (the user may have
selected smaller fonts than the designer), etc.

Having one box with square corners on a page filled with boxes all
having rounded corners would look pretty bad.

~Grauw