Re: Search Engine CSS

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:39:43 +0300, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Craig Francis wrote:
>>  I have recently been thinking about how search engine spiders index a
>> website.
>>  At the moment we can provide ways for the spiders to find the page,
>> but I do not think its possible for us to tell the spider things like
>> where the navigation bar is (as I think it should be indexed
>> differently to the main content of the page).
>>  I have written a fairly small document explaining how a future version
>> of CSS could help present the documents structure and data to search
>> engine spiders in a better way than their current guesswork methods.
>>  It would be great if you can give me some feedback.
>>  http://www.krang.org.uk/searchEngineCSS/
>
> You're proposing the use of CSS to impart semantic meaning (e.g.
> content: keywords and importance: 1) and behaviour (e.g. links: ignore)?
> Sorry, but this is certainly beyond the scope of what CSS should do.
>
> And no, the speech output CSS rules are not comparable: they define how
> something should be presented, aurally...not what the meaning or
> behaviour are.

I second Patrick's views. This is in HTML's scope, I believe.

That said, currently, is there a way to to mark part of an html document
to not be spidered? For example, an author may not want the comment
section to be indexed at all by the search bot. Is there such a way? I'd
be glad if someone provided an answer..

Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com