Re: Search Engine CSS

Craig Francis wrote:

> I have recently been thinking about how search engine spiders index a
> website.
>
> At the moment we can provide ways for the spiders to find the page, but
> I do not think its possible for us to tell the spider things like where
> the navigation bar is (as I think it should be indexed differently to
> the main content of the page).
>
> I have written a fairly small document explaining how a future version
> of CSS could help present the documents structure and data to search
> engine spiders in a better way than their current guesswork methods.
>
> It would be great if you can give me some feedback.
>
> http://www.krang.org.uk/searchEngineCSS/

You're proposing the use of CSS to impart semantic meaning (e.g.
content: keywords and importance: 1) and behaviour (e.g. links: ignore)?
Sorry, but this is certainly beyond the scope of what CSS should do.

And no, the speech output CSS rules are not comparable: they define how
something should be presented, aurally...not what the meaning or
behaviour are.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/