RE: I18n comment: lang value case-insensitive

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:46:24 -0000
To: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

Actually XML isn't case sensitive in this point.

The XML spec says "The values of the attribute are language identifiers as
defined by [IETF RFC 3066], Tags for the Identification of Languages, or its
successor; in addition, the empty string MAY be specified."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-lang-tag

RFC3066 specifies that case must not matter. " All tags are to be treated as
case insensitive; there exist conventions for capitalization of some of
them, but these should not be taken to carry meaning."
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead