Re: [css3-selectors][css-selectors] Comments on Section 6.1.1

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> 1)  Paragraph 2 says:
>
>   The namespace component may be left empty to indicate that the selector is
>   only to represent elements with no declared namespace.
>
> while paragraph 4 says:
>
>   Element type selectors that have no namespace component (no namespace
>   separator), represent elements without regard to the element's namespace
>   (equivalent to "*|") unless a default namespace has been declared. If a
>   default namespace has been declared, the selector will represent only
>   elements in the default namespace.
>
> I assume that paragraph 2 is talking about type selectors that _do_ have
> a namespace separator but _do_not_ have a "namespace component" (the
> term "namespace component" is not defined; I assume it means the same
> thing as "namespace prefix" in paragraph 1).  This should probably be
> made clear; as things stand it seems like paragraph 2 and paragraph 4
> are saying different things about the same selectors.  Perhaps the
> distinction between having an empty "namespace component" and having no
> "namespace component" at all should be made clear somewhere in paragraph
> 1, maybe as part of a definition of "namespace component"?

It now reads:

: Type selectors allow an optional namespace component: a namespace prefix
: that has been previously declared may be prepended to the element name
: separated by the namespace separator "vertical bar" (U+007C, |). (See,
: e.g., [XMLNAMES] for the use of namespaces in XML.)
:
: The namespace component may be left empty (no prefix before the
: namespace separator) to indicate that the selector is only to represent
: elements with no declared namespace.

> 2)  I think it should be made clear that the default namespace talked about in
> paragraph 4 is in the stylesheet, not the document.  Paragraph 2 means
> "declared in the document" when it uses "declared", and the difference in
> meaning for the same term is rather confusing.  Similarly, paragraph 5 means
> "declared in the stylesheet" when it uses "declared"...

It now reads:

: Element type selectors that have no namespace component (no namespace
: separator), represent elements without regard to the element's namespace
: (equivalent to "*|") unless a default namespace has been declared for
: namespaced selectors (e.g. in CSS, in the style sheet). If a default
: namespace has been declared, such selectors will represent only elements
: in the default namespace.
:
: A type selector containing a namespace prefix that has not been
: previously declared for namespaced selectors is an invalid selector. The
: mechanism for declaring a namespace prefix is left up to the language
: implementing Selectors. In CSS, such a mechanism is defined in the
: General Syntax module.

> 3)  Paragraph 6 makes it sound like the whole type selector should only match
> against the local name, whereas it's just the part after the namespace
> separator that this is true for.  This is worth clarifying.

Now reads:

: In a namespace-aware client, the name part of element type selectors
: (the part after the namespace separator, if it is present) will only
: match against the local part of the element's qualified name. See below
: for notes about matching behaviors in down-level clients.

> 4)  In paragraph 6, I would make "notes about matching behaviors in down-level
> clients" the link, not "below" (since depending on styles applied to the
> document it may not in fact be "below" .... ;) )

Done ("matching behaviors in down-level clients" is the link).

> 5)  The summary again uses the term "declared" to mean "declared in the
> document" when talking about "*|E" and "|E".  Then it uses "specified"
> to mean "specified in the stylesheet"; compare this to the terminology
> used in the paragraphs I reference in my comment #2.  Please standardize
> the terminology here to make it unambiguous.

Now reads:

: ns|E
:     elements with name E in namespace ns
: *|E
:     elements with name E in any namespace, including those without a
:     namespace
: |E
:     elements with name E without a namespace
: E
:     if no default namespace has been declared for selectors, this is
:     equivalent to *|E. Otherwise it is equivalent to ns|E where ns is
:     the default namespace.

> 6)  In the CSS examples, the rule numbering (first, second, etc) assumes
> that the @namespace rule is the "zeroth" rule.  This seems a little odd
> to me....

I've added "(not counting the <code>@namespace</code> at-rule)" after the
"first rule", and added "/* first rule */" in the example.