Re: I18n comment: xml and namespaces version

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:42:50 +0000 (UTC)
To: ishida@w3.org, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 ishida@w3.org wrote:
> Comment:
> Which version of XML Namespaces (and XML) is supported by the document?

The working group discussed this.

All of them. To make this clearer we have made the references to
[XMLNAMES] explicitly informative and made the prose say "e.g." before
mentioning [XMLNAMES].

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> and that is the reason why it should say what happens if there is a
> clash in versions. Or it should add a note to warn the users of such
> clashes, e.g. saying
> "This specification does not provide mechanisms to avoid clashes which
> might occur due to different versions of markup languages. An example
> are clashes between different versions of XML.

We are not aware of any possible clashes.

The @namespace syntax is not part of Selectors.

> People who want to use IRIs for namespaces and XML 1.1. for NCName
> should be warned that such non matches can occur.

We do not understand what you mean here.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Felix Sasaki wrote:

> > > In #5, what would it mean for CSS Selectors to "support" any
> > > specific version of Namespaces in XML?
> to allow for s.t. like "@namespace foo url(xxx);", where "xxx" is
> conformant to
> 'xmlns:' NCName (NCName being definded at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#NT-NCName ).

As the @namespace syntax is not part of Selectors, we do not understand
your request.

Please let us know if the changes mentioned above are not enough to
satisfy your request.