RE: I18n Core WG comments on CSS3 Selectors [7]

I'm not sure how to make it much clearer.  Perhaps this will help:

[1] I'm always wary of the hreflang attribute's usefulness (since I'm not
aware of user agents that actually make use of it)
[2] the meaning of that attribute in XHTML2 will change (so the example may
not be so clear in the future - small point perhaps)
[3] I'm also struggling to see an application for using it to style the link
element content in current implementations
[4] there is a fairly common practice of using the hreflang attribute
specifically for styling link text on a elements to show what the expected
language of the link target is

therefore

I'd therefore suggest changing hreflang examples referring to the link
element to refer to the a element in examples.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)