Re: [CSS21] text-decoration on replaced elements that "contain text"

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 02:33:37 +0000 (UTC)
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> See, spec says:
> "Inherited:   no (see prose) "
>
> This means that there are exceptions (in prose), right?

No, it means it isn't inherited, but that the prose discusses the matter
in more detail.

Which it does; it explains that while the property is not inherited, it
can affect descendants in various (moderately complicated) ways.

> According to the illustration:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/images/underline-example.png

The diagrams and examples are non-normative, in general I'd recommend
using the prose and not the examples when trying to understand the more
complex parts of the spec.

> <em> in :
>
>   blockquote { text-decoration: underline; color: blue; }
>   em { display: block; }
>   cite { color: fuchsia; }

>      Help, help!
>      <em> I am under a hat! </em>
>      <cite> -GwieF </cite>
>
> inherits text-decoration attribute value.
> Or at least it behaves as it did.

It doesn't inherit it. It does in some ways behave as if it does, in that
the text, for instance, is inherited, but it is clear that it is not
really inherited, as could be shown by, e.g., setting the text-decoration
property on that element explicitly (and offsetting it a little with
vertical-align).