Re: [Selectors], XSLT, and a browser's internal view of an xml document

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:56:19 +0100, Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>> I rather keep data and style separate.
>
> You can separate data and style in one of the
> following ways:
>
> - use separate files (for example, use an XML file
> with a CSS stylesheet).

I meant this one.

> - use presentation mark-up (for example, transform an
> XML file to generate XSL-FO).

And this one obviously not per below...

>> [SNIP]
>> Also after possible transformations have
>> been done so that the final DOM tree is "semantic"
>
> Yeah, well, I invented (I think) the term
> "presentation semantics" in December mails to this
> list. After that elicited confusion from list members,
> I stopped using the term. By your use of "semantic",
> do you mean one of the following:
>
> - "content-describing" mark-up (for example,
> <first-name>Noah</first-name>).

If <first-name> was in fact widely used and recognized by search engines,
yes.

> - something else?

I think I mean mostly elements which have meaning because they are used
and recognized by browsers, search engines, etc. XSL-FO obviously doesn't
fit in that picture.

>> [SNIP]
>> Where is the need for a special <css:style>? From
>> what I understand <?xml-stylesheet?> is supposed to
>> solve that...
>
> If you allow embedded CSS in custom XML pages, then
> you can use an external XSL stylesheet to create valid
> CSS rules from your embedded and inline xmlized CSS.
> See the postscript for an example.

To what advantage?

> What's a non-techie (disregarding the design of the
> DOM API) distinction between a document's data and its
> style? A distinction that helps me decide whether my
> mixing data mark-up with mark-up from a CSS namespace
> violates the principle of separating data from style?

It would violate that in my opinion. (Note that I the <style> element as
designed is a violation of that separation as well.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>