Re: [css-mobile] relate to css handheld media type?

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:41, Justin Thorp wrote:
> Bert, thanks for the response!  That makes sense.
>
> Would you see this getting folded into the Default Delivery Context
> [1] that is layed out in the Mobile Web Best Practices?

That's a timing issue (it is too late to change this particular Best
Practices spec), but eventually something like that should happen, yes.
The plan is that one of the WICD specs will define a combination of
XHTML Basic, HTTP, JPEG, SVG Tiny, PNG and CSS Mobile for mobile
phones.

> Is there a way to tell what's not in the CSS Mobile Profile?  This
> way I know what features of CSS I shouldn't count on.

We don't have all of CSS formatted as a single document. Some parts of
CSS are standard, others are in various stages of development. To know
what is or will be in CSS, you will have to look on
http://www.w3.org/TR for all CSS-related specifications.

> Also, what was the rationale that was used for including some things
> and not others?  Just, what do developers need to make a quality
> designed site on a mobile device and what would be not unreasonable
> to ask for?

It is basically the common parts of W3C's previous Mobile Profile and
OMA's CSS profile ("WCSS"). The goal is to replace both of these by a
single W3C/OMA profile.

Some time after that we will probably start developing the next version
of the profile, which will contain more features and which can replace
this profile in a few years.

Bert