Re: [css-mobile] relate to css handheld media type?

Bert, thanks for the response!  That makes sense.

Would you see this getting folded into the Default Delivery Context [1] that is layed out in the Mobile Web Best Practices?

Is there a way to tell what's not in the CSS Mobile Profile?  This way I know what features of CSS I shouldn't count on.

Also, what was the rationale that was used for including some things and not others?  Just, what do developers need to make a quality designed site on a mobile device and what would be not unreasonable to ask for?

Cheers,
Justin Thorp

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/PR-mobile-bp-20061102/#ddc

******************
Justin Thorp
US Library of Congress
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
e - juth@loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541

Justin Thorp wrote:

> I was just curious how this document relates to setting a css media
> type [1] to handheld.  Would this profile specify what properties I
> could use for my handheld css?

You can use all other CSS properties as well, they are just not
guaranteed to work. All implementations that claim to support 'handheld'
must implement *at least* the features in this profile. Many mobile
implementations will (or already do) support much more than what the
profile requires.

> Often handheld css's are implemented on top of the desktop css which
> mobile devices see.

That's perfectly fine: mobile devices will accept full CSS syntax. But
as an author you have to be prepared for the fact that some of them will
skip the more advanced features of CSS.

Bert