Re: [css3] Proposal

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [css3] Proposal

| > My apologies if this has been suggested in the past, I did do a quick
| > but hardly exchaustive search.
| >
| > I propose a new property called "animation". For most elements, it
|
| I agree with others that this is behaviour, and doesn't belong in
| CSS.

behavior is a module of CSS3 as far as I can see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-roadmap/#becss

So it already belongs to CSS somehow.

Speaking about animations as behaviors...
Let's assume we have some set of "standard" behaviors, then:

Master style sheet of some UA will be able to use:

img:animation {  behaivor: animate-image;  }

And user will be able to define:

img:animation {  behaivor: none;  }

on his/her end.

But behaviors define logic of actions.
Animation in its turn is presentation atribute rather than
logic. So it is under CSS umbrella I beleive.

| Some things, like marquee almost certainly only got in because
| marquee was forced into HTML by Microsoft.  (Actually, marquee is bad
| practice, from an accessibility point of view.)

For the sake of  fairness we need to mention the <blink> thing also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_tag

| > A value of "reload" would cause the animation to play from frame 1
|
| You need to make the language more general.  Vector animation has a
| time line, but doesn't necessarily have frames.
|
| > This property would be of particular use in designing Flash-like
| > effects, animated button/links and even user.css (where I imagine a
|
| For Flash like effects with W3C technologies, use, what has become,
| W3C's equivalent of Flash, SVG.  (Although, personally, I would prefer
| to have a widely implemented static vector format than a Flash competitor.)
|
| > great many people might have img { animation:pause !important; } at
| > the top of the file).
|
| Yes, but that also exposes a flaw in that a user cannot force the
| animation to run without stopping or pausing; you need another value.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com