Re: Web Fonts

On Thursday, August 24, 2006, 12:53:57 PM, Håkon wrote:

HWL> Also sprach Chris Lilley:

 >> The point is that CSS1 has a nice model where the fonts available
 >> is not an opaque blob but has separate descriptors for things like
 >> the family, the style, the weight, and so on. its then possible to
 >> change one property and match to a different font.

HWL> The descriptors are there to replicate information from the font
HWL> files. This is a mainly a performace issue -- instead of (e.g.) having
HWL> to download a 50k font file to check which unicode ranges it covers,
HWL> you can declare this in a descriptor.

Right.

HWL>  However, giving values to the
HWL> descriptors is optional and the model doesn't depend on this.

HWL> In the proposed syntax, you can still "change one property and match to
HWL> a different font". E.g., this would work:

HWL>   h1 {
HWL>     font-familiy: Headline, url(http://example.com/fonts/hdl.zip), serif
HWL>     font-weight: bold;
HWL>   }
HWL>   h2 {
HWL>     font-familiy: Headline, url(http://example.com/fonts/hdl.zip), serif
HWL>     font-style: italic;
HWL>   }

If Headline is not installed locally, what is the computed value of the
font-family property?

On this content

<h1>Some <b>bold</b> statement</h1>

what is the font-family for the b element?

 >> I explained all this last week at a very interesting Web Font panel
 >> at TypeCon 2006 in Boston, together with representatives from
 >> Apple, Adobe and Microsoft Typography. The audience there
 >> understood the issues very well and how Hakon's proposal would
 >> break all that.

HWL> In that case, you didn't present my proposal correctly.

I wasn't there to present your proposal. I was there to show that W3C
listens to and is aware of the needs of font designers and
typographically aware content designers.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG