Re: Web Fonts

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:43:44 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Ian Hickson:

 > But it isn't; I believe the idea howcome suggested would allow for
 > multiple TTF files to be included in the .zip file, such that the other
 > font properties would select the right font from the zip file.

Indeed. Instead of writing

    @font-face {
        font-family: Headline;
        src: url(http://example.com/fonts/hdl);
    }
    h1 {font-family: Headline, serif}

you would write:

    h1 { font-familiy: Headline, url(http://example.com/fonts/hdl.zip), serif }

It's an obvious simplification. So obvious that several people --
including Dave Raggett and Dave Hyatt -- independently have proposed
it.

-h&kon