Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@alastc.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:17:36 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
> the way that tables are used in the wild for layout prevents rendering
> on popular browsers until the whole table and all its subordinate
> resources have been transferred, preventing interaction with the
> page, and particular its first screenful, for many seconds on some
> connections.

Indeed, and I would bet that most authors using this method don't
understand *why* their pages seem slow, and don't realise there is
another option.

Put yourself in the authors position, and imagine you are using a fairly
complex layout. You've then used a valid (straight from the spec)
selector, and suddenly your pages take longer to render. Why would a
browser maker implement that? It just doesn't seem right...

Kind regards,

-Alastair