Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:18:00 +0000 (UTC)
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> Ah...I misunderstood you. When you said "ample evidence" I thought you
> were referring to studies, reports, statistics...and I was saying that I
> was happy to have my view changed on reading such material. But what you
> meant was that in *your view*, authors are clueless, and you base this
> on that fact that there are web pages out there that execute
> inefficiently.

Here's a study:

   http://code.google.com/webstats/index.html

Take one example: writing a page with <table> markup is inefficient from
the point of view of browser page load times. <table> is the 9th most
often used element. Conclusion: authors make bad decisions.

> So my point still stands; you can't be sure that authors cannot be
> trusted with features that are denied them...since they don't actually
> have those features available to them to use inefficiently!

There are plenty of features that authors can use inefficiently. The fact
that authors mis-use them is why Web browser vendors are reluctant to add
*more* features that can be used inefficiently.

If there were no such features already available, your point would stand,
but this is not the case.