Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:39:11 +0200
To: mark.birbeck@x-port.net
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> I'm not for a moment saying that all authors know everything about the
> programming environment they use. But I am saying that most languages
> have things in them that are both inefficient and useful, and it's
> therefore up to the author to find out what they are and how and when
> to use them.
>
> My problem with CSS is that its whole philosophy is based on the idea
> that authors cannot be trusted, and that the CSS gatekeepers know
> best.

It's not a philosophy, it's just a fact. There are zillions of ugly
pages (from a markup/css/js/php perspective), and "good" web sites
are rare pearls. Even editing tools produce code that is ineffective.

And another fact is that when Web authors use cost-ineffective stuff in
their pages, browser users blame the browser, not the site's
author.
That is a bad game for browser implementors, for sure.

</Daniel>