Re: Proposed ::last-line and ::last-letter selectors

From: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:33:34 +0300
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Andrés <adelfino@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

 > Andrés wrote:
 >> justify is justify, not left. I want all lines justified, *all*, which
 >> I select.
 >
 > But this is not a useful behavior.  I suggest looking at a newspaper or
 > book sometime -- that's how "justify" should behave.
 >
 > Speaking of which, perhaps the CSS2.1 spec should explicitly say
 > something to this effect.  It seems to assume people understand what is
 > meant by "justify", and we now have evidence that this is not the case.

It mentions it under the 'direction' property:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-direction

'[it specifies] the position of an incomplete last line in a block in
case of "text-align: justify".'

I think 'last' may be superfluous there, but that's another issue; it
would indeed be good if all these issues were explicitly discussed in
the section on 'text-align'.