Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

Luc[as] de Groot schreef:
> Ah, when I am at it, it was always possible to make tiny gifs and scale them
> in the html; one, two, three or twenty times, which looked cool, sharp big
> pixels. Until some fuzzy browser on a full fuzz OS started smoothing such
> scaled gifs. :-( That was not the idea.
> So, please define "no smoothing" for images as well.

No thank you!

The benefit of enabling users to easily scale images into their desired
size while still having them look good to the human eye (thus removing
the need to pre-render all the different sizes) far exceeds the loss of
not being able to create some obscure stylistic effect with small images
which depends on behaviour that was never specified in the first place.
IMHO.

Also, you can still achieve that effect. Because image file formats are
compressed, there is no direct mapping of image size to file size, and
the effect you desire will for example hardly cause any increase in file
size, even when the image is many times bigger in size than the original.

Finally, even *if* file size were a problem here, user bandwidth is
ever-increasing, and the problem will thus eventually solve itself,
while the human sight will stay the same.

By the way, Mozilla Firefox 3.0 will also do interpolation when scaling
images up or down.

~Grauw