Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

From: Steve Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:01:55 -0700
To: Joshua RANDALL FTRD/DIH/BOS <joshua.randall@francetelecom.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: Joshua RANDALL FTRD/DIH/BOS <joshua.randall@francetelecom.com>, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, www-style@w3.org
At 04:07 PM 4/25/2006, Joshua RANDALL FTRD/DIH/BOS wrote:

>>Now that descigners are using
>>advanced CSS, I think the time is right try getting webfonts started
>>again. And simple downloads of existing, currently available, zipped
>>truetype files is a pragmatic way to start.
>I agree that it would definitely be good to reincorporate webfonts
>into current CSS work, but I'm not sure how a standard supporting
>webfonts would specify required font type support for conformance
>purposes.  While truetype is certainly an industry standard, is it
>standardized by any actual standards body in a public document that
>could be referenced by a W3C recommendation?

Although Truetype is not standardized, Opentype, which is the successor to
and combines Truetype and Adobe Type 1 font technology is being
standardized by the ISO MPEG group
(unfortunately, this URL does not give much information about the actual
work which is at the First Committee Draft stage.)
There is also an ISO Standard for Type 1 fonts (ISO/IEC 9541-1,2 and 3:1991):
So Opentype is likely to be a suitable format to standardize on.

>  Perhaps SVG fonts could
>be considered as an alternative, not necessarily instead of truetype,
>but as a format that could be required for baseline conformance in
>addition to other formats that may be supported?
>Major points in favor of using the truetype format for webfonts are
>that fonts are widely available, that some form of truetype support
>is already present on most desktop operating systems, and that
>hinting can be used to provide high-quality rendering at arbitrary
>pixel sizes.

Most of the fonts that have been released either as Truetype or Type 1
fonts are being (or have been) converted to Opentype fonts which are
platform independent (at least with respect to Windows or Apple systems.)

Steve Zilles
115 Lansberry Court,
Los Gatos, CA 95032-4710