Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

David Woolley schreef:
>> There is nothing that prevents you from taking all the characters that=20
>> you need from a font file, and put a subset into a new one, except maybe=20
>> that there aren=E2=80=99t any (free or well-known or easy-to-use) tools=20
>> available to do that right now.
>>

> The result would have a bogus encoding, and one of the arguments for
> proper use of text rather than image is that the text should be machine
> processable and therefore should have the declared encoding for the
> web page.

I of course never meant to imply it be used like that, that makes
absolutely no sense.

Don’t TTF fonts provide a mapping of code points to glyphs? Surely they do?

How else would they cope with gaps in their character support (e.g. only
latin-1 and symbols)? Store an empty glyph placeholder there? That seems
awfully primitive to me. Anyways, if that is the means, there is no
reason why a tool couldn’t replace the unused glyphs with an empty
placeholder to reduce the size.

~Grauw