Re: Are there W3C definitions of presentation and content?

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:18:36 +0200
To: "WWW Style" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:32:48 +0200, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> White Lynx wrote:
>
>> What if you want to format TEI (Text Encoding Initiative, markup language similar to DocBook) pages? Some versions of TEI encode links in form:
>> <xref url="http://www.tei-c.org">Text Encoding Initiative</xref>
>> You can format TEI documents with CSS and view them in browser, but links won't work as no browser supports TEI natively. With CSS linking extensions it is possible to actuate link above and emulate native support
>> xref[url] {link:attr(url);}
>
>> For comparison languages like DocBook and TEI have hundreds of elements with specific semantical role.
>
> But is it the role of CSS to define the *behaviour* of a user agent when
> it encounters those hundreds of elements?

It is a bit of a 'if you have a hammer...' argument, but using CSS for linking is an easy way to implement support for these type of documents in any CSS supporting browser. I guess DOM+EcmaScript could also be used. In both cases, the author will have to include the style (or script) in the document, or the user would have to use a user stylesheet (or userscript).

Ideally, such documents should not be used directly in the browser, but transformed server-side to normal HTML+CSS.

--
            Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.

                                                    Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                  Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                 Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/