Re: [CSS2.1] Replaced elements

Bert Bos wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:54, Staffan Måhlén wrote:
<snip/>

>>Ok, thanks for considering it. Would it be possible/useful to remove
>>the HTML example and remove the fallback pixels (both of those are
>>new to CSS 2.1 i belive)?
>
> New for the CSS spec, yes, not new in practice.
>
> Browsers have to do something. Several do 300px, so we might as well
> pick that. That's one more worry for browser makers solved.

In my opinion the CSS rec should not change this unless there is a more
complete solution, and i think it is possible that browser makers may
have to worry if a change is made (since i think they do not currently
consistently implement what the rec will say with the change).

<snip />

> Other than an error message, I can think of one other way to keep
> something reserved for future use: make the behaviour unpredictable.
> Browsers pick a random size on every (re)load.
>
> But random behaviour isn't a tradition on the Web, so what would
> probably happen in practice is that browser makers are inundated with
> bug reports...

I hope random behaviour is not what i proposed :). I aimed to suggest
nearer to status quo given that a more full solution will not be
feasible for CSS 2.1. In particular the HTML example seems wrong to me.

<snip/>

Neither of those are big issues to me and i am quite happy with any
resolution, thanks for taking the time to discuss this,

  /Staffan