Re: Are there W3C definitions of presentation and content?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:43:01 -0400
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> I repeat, at the risk of being rude "What reason is there for
> considering href part of the content?"

   An |href| attribute is used to create a link to other content. If you
were able to change it via CSS, the style sheet itself could change the
location it points to, or even us it to execute scripting when the link
is clicked. That's far more profound than presentation. Consider also
that if CSS is turned off, unavailable, or if the CSS file fails to
load, the link will possibly go to a different URL from the one
intended. Webmasters could even abuse such a feature to make it redirect
 legacy browser users to a "Your browser sux! Upgrade to IE8!"-type page.

   I don't know about you, but NONE of that sounds presentational to me.
It doesn't even sound like a feature I'd want in CSS.