Re: Are there W3C definitions of presentation and content?

From: Emrah BASKAYA <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:15:57 +0300
To: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>, "Jonathan Chetwynd" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:39:35 +0300, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> For me, separation of content and presentation isn't an axiom. It is
> one of the possible ways to achieve the real goal of the Web: easy
> access to information (and to communication). In other words,
> separation of style and structure (or presentation and content, but
> that doesn't alliterate :-) ) simply turns out to be a useful method
> in many cases.
>
> (I've written on that elsewhere before:
> http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/DesignGuide/introduction )

Nice insight, Bert.

Would I be mistaken if I say that the aim of CSS is not the ultimate
seperation of style and structure (While I wish for it.). This simply is
not possible when the element order in the structure is vital for the
layout on an html page. However, it should be fairly easy for an editor
and author to assume, in a later time, that a certain chapter should
appear before anything else in the book, and that modification is done
fairly easily, if that portion is marked up well in a separate chapter
(and for html, in an element with an ID)

Yes, we have xsl and everybody should learn it?

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com