Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:30:03 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> If the documents themselves were reasonably well marked up in terms of
> structure, they should make sense even without CSS. Sure, there may be a

That's a big IF.  I think Orion's issue is that because it is possible
to produce documents to an appearence on a small number of desktop
browsers, nearly every commercial web site author does so.   The result
is that the vast majority of real life web pages will not work except
on a rather narrow range of platforms.

Unfortunately, a lot of web sites are much more about branding and
visual entertainment than content, so any solution that removes those
possibilities from authors is commercially non-viable except in niche
markets (my guess is research based company intranets and the better
universities).