Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:37:37 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:

> But the reality is that even table-less design, removing CSS from
> pages usually ends up bad.
 > And
> flattening a structure like that still doesn't make it renderable in a
> cell-phone. I certainly haven't seen any cell phones that have done a
> wonderful job of faithfully preserving all content while restyling the
> document as a whole.

If the documents themselves were reasonably well marked up in terms of
structure, they should make sense even without CSS. Sure, there may be a
few more DIVs and such present, so that styling can be facilitated later
on, but disabling styling should still yield a structured document. Why
wouldn't a cellphone "faithfully preserve all content"? Do they fuzz
around with the HTML?

> As for feeds that use CSS, I find them inaccessible since it raises
> the requirement that my reader support CSS when that isn't even
> supposed to be a requirement for browsers. But it's something we've
> come to rely upon because we have it. Some people just don't care
> about small devices or the disabled.

Well, as I can't find an example of an RSS or Atom feed that uses CSS,
here's the kicker question: if the content is marked up correctly, how
do non-CSS capable readers react? Do they just show the unstyled (or
rather, default styled) content? Because in that case, there is
absolutely no accessibility issue here: you can still get the content,
as it does not rely on the presentation. Or am I missing something
fundamental here?

> I'm fairly positive it has something to do with VHS holding 6 hours
> and Betamax only holding 2. Though I could be wrong. Superiority is
> determined by the market.

Looking at the current market, I think it would be safe to say that RSS
has *NOT* replaced HTML+CSS. Yes, a clued up, technology-savvy section
of web users take advantage of it to keep up with things like news, new
posts on fora, etc...but there's hardly evidence that one is replacing
the other.

Patrick H. Lauke