Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On 9/14/05, Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:24:20 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's quite possible. However, the proposed feature wouldn't
> > actually help with this case, since you'd end up with browser X claiming
> > support for border-radius despite a fatal (but unnoticed when the browser
> > shipped) bug. Or some similar thing.
>
> Look:
>
> * Browsers should ignore selectors which they don't support, but some have
> fatal bugs and don't.
> * Browsers should ignore properties which they don't support, but some
> have fatal bugs and don't.
> * Browsers should ignore @required blocks which they don't support, but
> because some may have fatal bugs and don't, @required is useless and let's
> not bother at all.
>
> Don't you think that it's unfair/too idealistic to consider @required
> doomed because of browser bugs?
>
> It's impossible to create mechanism that will effortlessly ensure perfect
> rendering, in all browsers, current and future, despite their bugs and
> malicious efforts of marketing deparments, but @required is as close as
> you can get.
>
> CSS1 properties were pretty independent, and per-property fallbacks were
> ok, but in later levels many groups properties work together, so there is
> neccessity for per-group fallbacks.

Or a change in how properties are set. Now one might consider that
some properties be implicitly tied together so that if I don't
implement top, don't bother with right. But these are pretty much
already accounted for.

--

Orion Adrian