Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Emrah BASKAYA wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:34:39 +0300, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > ...and then we're back to where we are now. So what's the point? I
> > disagree that the benefits introduced outweigh the cost (in author
> > confusion and frustration, in implementation investment, in testing,
> > in specifying what "a good level of conformance" means, etc).
>
> We don't have to make it complicated and put conformance levels.

In that case we're back to the original proposal, which doesn't work at
all, as discussed.

> But I am sure, with the absence of such a @required feature, the authors
> will find great many hacks to use new CSS3 feature without making it
> look silly on CSS2 browsers (classic example would be using less padding
> when UA cannot display rounded corners), such as using CSS3 selectors
> *just* for the sole purpose of eliminating CSS2 browsers.

Yes, that's quite possible. However, the proposed feature wouldn't
actually help with this case, since you'd end up with browser X claiming
support for border-radius despite a fatal (but unnoticed when the browser
shipped) bug. Or some similar thing.

> Not that I don't understand your concerns, but it is a bit sad with how
> we can't get out of this status quo.

Well, we're looking for a solution. It's just that so far all the proposed
solutions would either not actually help (such as here) or would make
matters worse (such as "legitimised" UA sniffing).