Re: block-based parsing?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:54:17 +0300, David Woolley
<david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Namely, such a rule would require a parser to skip the entire block
>> contained into the @mustUnderstand scope if there is at least one rule
>> it can't parse or containing a property it doesn't know.
>
> As well as the other points that have been made, this rule doesn't work
> as parsers often know more of the grammar than they can implement in
> the rendering.
>
> The problem with rendering based rules is that marketing people will
> tend to take a liberal view of conformance (and put a low priority on
> fixing automated conformance claims) whereas people wanting all or
> nothing type processing often want a very strict interpretation.

This 'marketing people' comment had earlier been made, and I guess it had
been invalidated by the fact that marketing and programming are two
separate things.

People who used "margin: 0 auto;" wanted strictly that their block level
elements be horizontally centered, but it was not necessarily the end
result on some line of browsers. Could that de-value margin: 0 auto? No.
Just because some browser may loosely interpret these rules does not mean
it is not of high value.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com