Re: block-based parsing?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:37:02 +0000 (UTC)
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Kris Vanderwater <kris@meridian-ds.com>, www-style@w3.org

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Kris Vanderwater wrote:
> > point being, how much reaching back is the WG doing?
>
> CSS2.1 is exactly the WG "reaching back" in the way you describe.

Indeed, the CSSWG has basically been spending the last 4 years almost
exclusively on taking developer feedback and making the specification
clearer and more useful to developers.

> > Or do the programmers of Gecko and the like toil away in a bubble just
> > interpretting the documents produced by the WG on their own
>
> There are Gecko programmers who are members of the WG.  Also Opera
> programmers and Safari programmers.  There are (or used to be?)
> representatives from Microsoft as well.  Not sure about Konqueror.

There are two Microsoft representatives on the group (there have been
Microsoft reps on the group for as far back as I can remember, certainly
back to before I joined the working group in 2000).

Basically most active members of the group are either implementors (Opera,
Mozilla, Microsoft and HP come to mind) or representatives of big
authoring communities (AOL comes to mind). So the working group is pretty
firmly grounded in reality. Or so we like to think.